At Eyelight, we know packaging.
With over 25 years of experience in retail packaging, we know what it takes to not only develop an effective package design, but guide you through the strategic process to ensure your visual elements and key messages are integrated into one cohesive look that’s consistent with your brand and will drive sales.
Each package is unique and must convey a lot of information, as it often becomes your silent sales person and must communicate the product benefits in a clean and appealing manner. Here are a few considerations we’ll discuss with you as we start the process:
- Who is your customer? Who will buy this product and why?
- Are there competitive products? Is your product any different? How?
- Does your product require government approvals?
- Are there any environmental considerations or claims required?
- Are there manufacturing limitations that will impact the package design?
- How will the package be printed? Litho, Flexo, Die sublimation? (these all require specific design considerations)
- Will photography or illustration be required?
- How will language impact the design? Canadian packaging must be bilingual. Many packages abroad are trilingual.
- How will your product be supported at retail? Point-of-purchase? Ad campaign? Promotion? Website? All of the above?
In Canada, all packaging MUST be bilingual with both English and French content using the same font size. When it comes to food packaging, all of the Canadian Federal Inspection Agency (CFIA) standards must be met and approved before the package can be printed. The regulations are less stringent for non-food items, however claims must be truthful and content must appear equal in both languages. There’s a lot to know and we’re here to help make the process a bit easier.
Beyond the Package
Whether you’re updating an existing package or developing a new one, it’s important to select an agency that has proven experience in creating well-designed packaging. In addition to this, the agency should also be able to take it one step further and develop a range of marketing support materials that will be crucial to increasing product awareness, enhancing your shelf presence, and driving sales.
Interested in learning more about how we can help? Here are a few client profiles that show how we assisted with their packaging projects and marketing support pieces.